Thursday, October 29, 2015

Poor Man's Chili

Tonight was pumpkin carving night in our house! I love everything about fall, but pumpkin carving has to definitely be one of the top things! Needless to say, it took us a while to finish them so it was a crockpot kind of night. 


I ended up literally going through my freezer/pantry and throwing in a few random ingredients that seemed like they would possibly taste good together. Well luckily for Kevin and I, it came out delicious!  We decided it was more of a chili than anything else, so I have Kevin run out and grab some cornbread.

My Pumpkin on the left, and Kevin and Brooke's pumpkin on the right!
I call this recipe "Poor Man's Chili" because most people will have pretty much all of these ingredients on hand on any given night. 


All I did was throw a package of frozen hamburger in along with all the ingredients and let it cook on HI for about 5 hours. It's not pictures, but I also added a can of premade chili with beans to the crockpot. You know, the kind that you put on nachos or chili-cheese dogs. I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the finished product because it was all gone before I got the chance! ;) Like I said before, I had no idea what I was trying to create. I originally thought it would come out more like taco meat...hence the tortillas that we didn't end up using.

All ingredients ready to get cooking!


Poor Man's Chili
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
1 package ground hamburger (about 2 pounds)
1 can of diced green chilies
1 8.75oz can of corn
1 package of taco seasoning mix
1 jar of salsa
1 can of chili with beans'

Directions
Add all ingredients to crockpot. 
Cook on HI for 4-6 hours depending on if your hamburger is frozen or not. Stir occasionally. 
I recommend serving with cheese and corn bread.

1 comment: