Thursday, October 8, 2015

Sriracha Bacon Rings

Dinner was a fun one tonight! I love when Kevin comes out with an idea once in a while, and BONUS, this time he made it! He saw a video on Facebook and decided that he wanted to make it for me. Sounds good to me any night! These bacon wrapped sriracha onion rings were delicious and certainly hit the spot.

 First, start by grabbing a large onion. This recipe will feed 2 people, use more onions for more people! I went with a vidalia onion because there were some pretty big ones this time around. Cut it up into slices a little thicker than onion rings would be cut. This allows them to hold up a bit better with the bacon wrapped around them. We decided to chop and saute up the rest of onion innards for a topping for our burgers we made.

We didn't use all the bacon! We had about 3-4 slices left that I cooked for burger toppings!

Next up, it's time to coat the slices with some heat. We actually used Frank's Hot Sauce this time around because I wasn't sure if I even liked sriracha... Try either putting some in a bowl and moving them around to coat like we did, or maybe brush the sauce right on. Once all the slices are coated, it's time to wrap the bacon around. There is not real trick to this, it's just a little messy. Start at one end, and wrap around until you run out of bacon. I would not recommend squishing too much bacon onto one slice as it will not fully cook. As you can see in the picture below, there was some spacing between the wrapping. Then stick a skewer through 2 rings so they hold their shape better while cooking.


Now it's time to pop them in the oven. 400 degrees for 40 minutes, on a cooking sheet coated with foil and cooking spray will do the trick. Trust me, you'll need the full 40 minutes. I didn't believe it at first, so I only put them on for 20, but they were even close to being done...so back in they went.

They may take a little finagling to get them off the foil!
While the rings were cooking, I prepped a dipping sauce. I used equal parts sriracha and mayo, with a splash of lemon juice. It was a delicious, creamy accompaniment for them. Yum!

Yummy dipped sauce! BRING ON THE BACON!

These rings would likely be equally as amazing over a grill. Just make sure to adjust cooking times, as they will probably vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment