Monday, November 2, 2015

"Gourmet" Grilled Cheese


Pay day never seems to come fast enough. I'm sure many of you can relate to the struggling of trying to meal plan with little more than a 1/4 gallon of milk and a few drumsticks left til Thursday. This time around lunch was more of a "Chopped" episode than anything else! Between Kevin and I, and quite a bit of brainstorming, we ended up creating one of the most delicious grilled cheese sandwiches I think I've ever had.

We started off with frying up a few pieces of bacon that we had just acquired from Kevin's mom the previous night, what great timing! Then came the last bits of a loaf of white bread and some butter. Next was figuring out white cheese to use. I found the other half of a pepper-jack block we had used the last time we made grilled cheese, but no american or provolone slices... I then saw in the depths of the fridge the wheel of store brand "laughing cow" garlic and herb cheese wedges. As fate would have it, there were two wedges left! Perfect! 


Now came time to assemble. First went on the wedges, but not like I imagined it. I was hoping to spread those wedges beautifully across each slice of bread, but no, that was not gonna happen. So instead I chopped them into tiny pieces and sprinkled them across the pieces. Good enough! Next I sliced  up the remaining pepper-jack cheese and layered that on. Lastly was the bacon that we precooked. Kevin decided to also put the leftover pork chop we had for dinner last night on his sandwich too, yum! With the other slice of white bread laid on top, into the pan to cook they went! 

Look at these beauties! 


These were seriously some of the most delicious grilled cheeses I think I've ever had. Paired with some noodle soup it made the perfect lunch on a chilly fall afternoon. What other fillings would you suggest? Be adventurous with cheeses and other toppings to make different combos of yummy grilled cheeses!

No comments:

Post a Comment