Monday, September 7, 2015

Kevin's Steak and Cheese

Today was shopping day in my house, which is one of my favorite days of the week. I know, I know, it sounds pretty crazy right? But I use this to my advantage, it's my "me" time. I find it almost therapeutic in a way, being in my own zone for a good hour or so a week to do my thing. I make my meal plan and grocery list, then head off the to store. 

Now, I'm not sure about you guys, but I am crazy when it comes to walking around a grocery store. Kevin, my boyfriend, hates it because I will walk around the store and backtrack every aisle at least once. I usually pick a few favorites out for the week, then try a few new recipes out.

I wasn't in the mood to cook when I got home today, so I was in luck when Kevin's mother told me a special meat was on sale at the deli this week. That special meat is the expensive London Broil, yeah, that $12.99 a pound deli meat. I recently learned from his mother that this was just about the best meat out there for steak and cheeses. Well it was on sale for $10.99 and I had found a $1 off coupon while walking through the store for that brand of meat, talk about luck!

I realize this may not be the cheapest meal when you factor in the meat, cheese, peppers and onions...but its SO worth it! For Kevin and I, we only needed 1/2 pound of the london broil, one green pepper, one good sized onion, and 4-5 pieces of cheese. I chose a pepper-jack cheese this time around, yum!! In the end, I only spent about $8 on the entire dinner since I only got a half pound of the meat!

I almost forgot to mention, I luck out with this meal, because Kevin actually likes making it....hello relaxation!

First he cut up the onion and pepper and cooked it up in a frying pan.


Then comes the sliced London broil. The thickness is totally dependent on your specific taste, you can either go a little thicker, or shaved like most steak and cheeses.
He lets it cook down a bit to let all the flavors come together. He then places a few pieces of cheese in the cooked meat and pepper/onion mix. This allows the cheese to melt into the mix and get a better cheesier flavor. If your family isn't a huge fan of the cheesiness, you can opt out this part and just skip to the next part. 
For the last step, he opens up the buns and places a piece of cheese into the bun before putting in the meat mix. This once again lets the cheese melt into the meat. Yummy!
Delicious!!!
Kevin's Steak and Cheese
Ingredients (recipe if for 2, can easily double or triple as needed!)


1 large green pepper (or any mix of pepper you'd like)
1 large onion
1/2lb Dietz and Watson London broil
4-5 slices of cheese of choice (I prefer either provolone or pepper-jack
2-4 grinder rolls

Directions

1. Cut up onion and pepper into chunks or slices and cook in a frying pan with a little oil or butter, just enough to "sweat" them out a bit.

2. Once they start to get a little translucent, add the slices of London broil to the mix. 

3. Let this cook for a bit until the meat starts to turn a little brown, cook it as much as you like. If you like no pink, cook it more, if you like more pink, cook it less. 

4. Add 2 pieces of cheese to the mix if so desired. Only cook enough to melt the cheese.

5. Open up the buns and place a piece of cheese on the bottom, then add the meat mixture

6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment