Monday, September 21, 2015

Apple Picking at Tougas Farm

Hooray!! Fall season is finally upon us! This is the time of year that I get itchy to do all those fun cliche things that come with fall. Pumpkin carving, crockpot meals, bonfires, prepping for Halloween, etc. Heck, I am a typical New England girl after all... 

One of my favorite activities that comes with Fall is apple picking. I have been to a few different orchards in the past, but since I have moved, Kevin and I decided to try out a new one. A coworker of mine has told me nothing but wonderful things about this orchard, so we gave it a try! We dressed in comfy clothes and sneakers, a MUST for apple picking (definitely don't want any rolled ankles...), and headed out the door! 


Tougas Farm is located in Northboro Massachusetts, right off of Rt 290. They are open throughout the summer and fall with different fruits to pick through the seasons.

A sign on one of the buildings indicating when picking seasons are.
I wanted to pick pumpkins as well today, but Kevin said no, and promised me a later visit to pick some up. I sadly agreed and we went on our way to the line to pick out our bag. They take cash or credit and have two different sizes; a 10lb and 20lb bag.

We chose the bigger bag for $36 that held~20lbs of apples. The bag may not look too big when initially holding it, but boy does it hold alot! Kevin sure got a good workout between balancing the apple bag and Brooke's hand! :-)


Such goofballs...Gotta love them!



We picked 3 different kinds this time around, but throughout the season Tougas has over 20 different types of apples to pick from! We chose to stick with McIntosh, Courtland, and Gala apples. The Courtland and Gala are great for baking, and McIntosh are our favorite for munching with my homemade yogurt/peanut butter dip!

After our picking fun we headed back to the car to drop off the apples and strolled back through the farm. There was a store with homemade items such as desserts, jams, and relishes. We chose to each grab a small apple cider and a bag of apple cider donuts. Holy Delicious! We enjoyed our cider and donuts at one of the many picnic tables before strolling around to take some cute pictures! 

Enjoying our Apple Cider and donuts
Our last stop was at the East Coast Kettle Corn stand. I have never had such incredibly tasty kettlecorn other than the stuff I make at home. It has such a wonderful balance of sweet and salty. Yum! Between Brooke and I, I have a feeling this bag wont last us too long.


We had a huge haul this time around! Some of the Courtlands were the size of small cantaloupes!!

Courtland, Kevin's IPhone for size reference!

McIntosh

Gala

Stay tuned for all of the apple recipes I will be posting soon! Poor Kevin will be so sick of peeling and cutting up those apples with me! ;-)

Overall, we had a blast at Tougas Farm! There is so much to do for the whole family! I look forward to coming back for one more round of apple picking and a trip to the pumpkin patch before the season is over! 

Some of the pumpkins in the middle of all the action.
'
Check out the Tougas Farm site for yourself to see what fun you and your family can have!
http://www.tougasfarm.com/index.html


Do you have a favorite apple or pumpkin patch? Leave me a comment below, I would love to try them all out eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment